1:30 p.m. in Room 309
New Mexicans for Ethical Medical Treatment
Opposition to Assisted Suicide/End of Life Options
- Assisted suicide decreases the value of human life.
- It would violate the doctor’s Hippocratic Oath and change the role of the doctor. The AMA opposes assisted suicide for this reason.
- It would open up many abuses, such as: assisting someone who is not really dying, assisting someone who is in depression, assisting someone who feels their existence is inconvenient to others, and lastly assisting the elderly who can be coerced.
- It encourages doctors and families to give up on hope of recovery and avoid heroic measures.
- Undue pressure can be put on the patients and doctors by insurance companies or the government.
- Doctors would be given too much power and can make the wrong diagnosis.
- Talking high doses of barbiturates is not a peaceful death
- Those with disabilities, mental problems, the elderly or those with chronic conditions would be a great risk.
- There is no requirement for a witness to be available at the time of death.
- Patients may not know all of the pain management choices.
- Heirs could gain their inheritances sooner, which might encourage assisted suicide.
|Last Name||First Name||Position||Party||Room||Extn.*||Email Addr.|
* Dial 1 (505) 986 – plus the Representative’s extension.