Today, Friday, February 17, 2017 at
1:30 p.m. in Room 309
1:30 p.m. in Room 309
(Note Room Change)
HB 171 End of Life Options allows a lethal dose of drugs to be prescribed to a patient who is thought to be dying. The bill is scheduled to be heard today in the
House Judiciary Committee, Room 309. (Note Room Change to 309.)
Please note that the committee meeting is scheduled for 1:30 p.m. or a half-hour after the floor session ends. (The House convenes at 10:30 a.m. has 16 items on the agenda.)
The following is information from New Mexicans for Ethical Medical Treatment regarding the concerns this bill raises. Please review and contact the committee members listed below with your concerns and urge them to
New Mexicans for Ethical Medical Treatment
Opposition to Assisted Suicide/End of Life Options
- Assisted suicide decreases the value of human life.
- It would violate the doctor’s Hippocratic Oath and change the role of the doctor. The AMA opposes assisted suicide for this reason.
- It would open up many abuses, such as: assisting someone who is not really dying, assisting someone who is in depression, assisting someone who feels their existence is inconvenient to others, and lastly assisting the elderly who can be coerced.
- It encourages doctors and families to give up on hope of recovery and avoid heroic measures.
- Undue pressure can be put on the patients and doctors by insurance companies or the government.
- Doctors would be given too much power and can make the wrong diagnosis.
- Talking high doses of barbiturates is not a peaceful death
- Those with disabilities, mental problems, the elderly or those with chronic conditions would be a great risk.
- There is no requirement for a witness to be available at the time of death.
- Patients may not know all of the pain management choices.
- Heirs could gain their inheritances sooner, which might encourage assisted suicide.
New Mexicans for Ethical Medical Treatment. Call for more information @ 505-881-4563, WWW.NMEMT.ORG
New Mexico Legislature 2017
House Judiciary Committee
|Last Name||First Name||Position||Party||Room||Extn.*||Email Addr.|
* Dial 1 (505) 986 – plus the Representative’s extension.
To dial the legislator’s phone, use 986- plus the extension.
God bless you for your concern, your phone call, your emails and your prayers.
New Mexico Watchman